As outdoor practitioners we have a legal duty of care to keep children, young people and adults safe from harm when they are eating and drinking outdoors. This becomes even more important when we are cooking outdoors with our groups.
The Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering was originally designed to address the stringent food safety needs of the catering and hospitality sector.
This qualification is given a new lease of life, through our hands on training, to give practitioners confidence in their knowledge and skills for food hygiene practice specific to the outdoors.
We will prepare a range of ‘risky’ foods, cook together and share a feast around the fire.
An outline of the programme includes:
- Importance of Food Safety in the woods
- Risk benefit approach
- Food allergies – understanding and management of
- Design your Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
- Legal requirements
- Microbes – Where are they lurking?
- Illnesses linked to food and the outdoors
- Hygiene control, temperature control, storage, handling, preparation, cooking, equipment…
- Personal Hygiene – hand washing and drying
- Food safety control
- Design your food safety guidelines and policy
- Food safety exam – multiple choice